Sunday 8 February 2015

97: Responsibility


Look at him happily swimming
In this paradise pool
Too scared to ride an elephant
Or take a quad bike tour
Not interested in snorkelling
Or going to see the turtles.
All he wants is a simple life
Low on stress and high on love
Keep him well fed and entertained
He’ll reward you with smiling eyes.

Take him out on the streets
And it changes in an instant
His senses are assaulted
By noise, danger and the unknown
Everywhere he turns, rules are broken
And chaos overwhelms.
In this crisis state, he cannot function
Walking to the restaurant is challenge enough
His body language screams
Warning! Warning! Beware! Do not engage!

The message is clear.
Don’t touch me, don’t even look at me
Don’t speak to me or think to question.
Worst of all don’t laugh at me
Or issue reprimands
I am barely in control
I am struggling to stay calm
There is nowhere for me to flee
There is nowhere safe to shelter.

I witness the fireworks as you struggle
As those around react, I feel your pain
To these people I cannot explain
If I do, it adds to your sense of shame.
I question my decision to come
Over and over again
But if you never face
The world and all things new
You’ll never learn to cope
And I will have failed you.


Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment