Monday 9 February 2015

104: Sleeping Tiger


I roar with sleep deprived anger
As I fight to make myself heard above the din.

“Turn the music down!”
“Show some respect!”
“I don’t want the cops around!”

The tiger has been woken
She has spoken
She will not be ignored.

I return to my lair
The tiger has left me
The effort of being something I am not
Has left me weakened and in despair.

Tearfully I wonder why I agreed to this
Do I like their music?
Do I like their drinking and the huddle of smokers out the front?

No, I don’t like any of it
I don’t like the incessant comings and goings
I don’t like the shouting and bad language
I don’t like upsetting my neighbours
I don’t like booze-fuelled kids, whether mine or someone else’s
And I definitely don’t like it in my house.

Trying to sleep is futile
I am worried about my dog running out onto the street
Every time a door is carelessly left open.
I pen him up and he howls miserably
I know how he feels
A prisoner in his own home.

The night drags on for me
As I listen to the sounds of other people’s fun
I wonder guiltily why I cannot enjoy this party?

They’re happy
They’re not malicious
They’re just unthinking pleasure seekers with no idea how I feel.

They wouldn’t believe how revolted I am
They have no concept of the fear that grips my heart
When people drink heavily around me.
They have no understanding of how unsafe I feel
When I see people losing control.
They have no ability to empathise with my impending sense of doom.
They have not walked in my shoes.
Nor would I want them to.

Let them have their fun
This is a unique occasion
There will be no repeat.

For this one night I will expose myself to the fear and panic
That drinking creates in me.
I do not have to like it to allow my daughter her special night.

I am jealous of them and I know this
I am jealous of their emotional freedom
I am jealous of their careless pleasure seeking ways
I am jealous of their lack of responsibility
But these feelings are fleeting.

I would not swap my knowledge for their naivety
I would not swap my years for their youth
I would not swap my caution for their abandon.

I thank goodness I am not twenty-one
I thank goodness my daughter is here and safe
I thank goodness the tiger is sleeping once again
Even though I remain awake.


Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment