Sunday 15 March 2015

138: Love That Sound


Drumming rain on canvas
Vibrates inside my brain;
I want to sleep but can’t
Camping once again.

Ground unyielding beneath
Rain relentless above;
So glad it’s only one night
Camping is not my love.

Dawn arrives with haste
I feel unready and unwilling
A day of entertaining cub scouts
While the puddles are a-filling.

The boys are making a racket
Be surprised if we’re allowed back
Parrots are screeching loudly
Sounds like we’re under attack.

A deep booming ‘crack’ overhead
Cuts through the din all around
An ominous creaking begins
Never felt so much fear from a sound.

As I scramble to escape
The bough fall is relentless
My mind runs wild in fear
Action invisible through canvas.

The impact has a resonance
I feel vibrating like thunder
A terrifying silence follows
Except where my heart shudders.

How I wish for the chatter
Of those ten excited children
And those raucous birds at dawn
Life without, a vision truly barren.

Finally reaching the light
Gratitude floods over
The children emerge and run about
Fall couldn’t have been much closer.

So happy to hear their noise
No longer caring what others think
How thoughts change in a second
When precious life is threatened.


Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment