Wednesday 24 December 2014

61: Don't Buy Me Things


Don’t buy me things at Christmas time or any other
Unless you know I love, want and need it
Don’t buy me things out of duty and obligation
Because you did last year or just because you like it
Don’t buy me things, give me your time instead.

Don’t buy me things, come visit and tell me who you are
Share your story with me, your hopes and fears
Make plans, take action, bring your dreams into being
Make memories that will be treasured for ever
Don’t buy me things, show me who you are.

Don’t buy me a picture for the wall, unless you’re going to help me hang it
I don’t want things to dust and tidy
I don’t need more work to do, because I’ll have less time to spend with you
Pay a gardener to mend the retic’ or a plumber to mend the leak
Don’t buy me things, help me with the jobs I can’t do.

Don’t buy me things I have to like, or your feelings will be hurt
Just share your smile with me in an intimate moment
Ring me up breathless with excitement the minute you finish work
Wake me with a 3.00 am satellite call, from a ship on the other side of the world
Please don’t buy me things, just give me your love wherever you are.

Don’t buy me garden plants that need watering, lest they die
Bring me a hot coloured bouquet that shouts happiness and joy
Bring me delicate blooms that fill the room with perfume
Though short lived, there is no guilt only pleasure
Don’t buy me things for the future, excite my senses now

Don’t buy me predictable safe things, because you know me
And I’ve always loved them in the past
Take my breath away, challenge me, keep me growing
Push me in new directions with new experiences to try
Don’t buy me the same old things, help me grow.

Don’t buy me things at all, I don’t need objects to weigh me down
Give me experiences, take me places and open my eyes
Surprise me, thrill me, take me past the fear that this jump might kill me
Don’t buy me things, give me opportunity and hold my hand
Cheer and believe in me, then hold me and celebrate when I land.

Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment