Monday 22 December 2014

59: A House Full of Things


I’ve woven my cocoon, my nest, around me
Filled with things I thought I needed.
Some of these I scrimped and saved for
Others I thought I was simply made for.
Yet none provide the pleasure of human company
No mere object will stop you being lonely
They just distract you and make it cosy.

So many things I’ve filled my time with
Chores, crafts and activities vying for my hours
Offering me guilt and sadness when they sit undone
Versus triumph and satisfaction upon completion
Ultimately just memories, clutter and dusting.

All these things I’ve over invested in
Time and space, objects in places
What really counts is experience and living
Going and doing, seeing and giving.

So hard to change, even though it’s what I want
To let go of dreams that no longer fit
As my social life grows, those things I thought I needed
Weigh me down and hold me back
Whispering, chattering, shouting
“Finish me!”
“Clean me!”
“What a waste!”
Clamouring for my time
Cluttering my mental space.

Well I don’t need this guilt, so self-imposed
I see it for what it is, I can diagnose
A long drawn out case of procrastination
Holding me back now, times a wastin’.
Let go those memories, you don’t need those things
You have a new life, it’s time for living.

Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment