Thursday 11 December 2014

48: Monitoring a Nuclear Reactor

     
I may be sitting here in the early evening sun talking comfortably
I may be looking at your face and smiling
But my control system is constantly on high alert.
My ears filter the sounds drifting across the grassy patch
Monitoring the sound of tennis ball on cricket bat
Scanning the multitude of children’s voices
Seeking out my own uniquely bonded source of sound emissions.

Once I have tuned in to the correct frequency
I check the pitch and tone for known deviations.
I am an experienced, professional frequency monitoring operative
My data-banks have seen almost all known error codes before
My early warning systems are highly developed.

While I nod and chatter with the other parents
I am alerted to a familiar pattern.
The subject has left the safety of the green zone
The reactor temperature is rising
Still only level 4 but we’re in the amber zone
Rapid escalation into the red zone can occur from this level.

Everybody knows a nuclear meltdown is a nasty business
Collateral damage spreads widely after such a cataclysmic event
So like the slick professional trouble-shooter that I am
I switch from happy parent to authority mode
I move off the bench and approach the pitch.

There are special codes to be used on occasions like this
Short, sharp reminders at low pitch
Of the outcome for the subject
Should he continue his current trajectory.

The subject responds by de-escalating one level
Operations continue briefly while I return to the bench
But that was just a preliminary rumble
Another ball is thrown
The main event is starting…

Warning bells are going off
The reactor is at level 6 now
The core temperature is rising.
The only way to prevent catastrophic failure now
Is a show of strength
A reminder that an equal and opposite force exists
Failure is not an option.

I go into action, calmly and decisively
I let the subject know that I have authority
And will not tolerate any violation of the rules.
There follows a minor explosion
The cricket bat is aimed menacingly at the stumps
Then flung to the ground.
The subject runs off to the isolation and safety of a tree
Play continues…

Whilst monitoring my charge safely defusing at a distance
I become aware of hostile forces nearby
Another parent is speaking about my intervention
Using humour to disguise what they see as my over-reaction.
But they are ignorant of the procedures.
They do not know about the risks of an autistic child in nuclear meltdown
They do not know that I may have just saved their child’s life
A minor explosion safely releases pent up energy
In nuclear mode that cricket bat would have become a lethal weapon

I will step in with appropriate force again
Don’t judge me!
I am an expert on this subject
The subject is my child.

Lady Satellite



No comments:

Post a Comment