Friday 5 December 2014

42: A New Australian



I'll never share your collective memories
of sun and sea and sport,
of politicians and musicians
and the intrigue they did court.
I didn’t run barefoot
as a bronzed larrikin child,
never went to school without shoes,
or went marroning, free and wild.

I’m not in love with footie,
I don’t understand the rules.
Can’t tell you about Don Bradman,
didn’t learn that stuff at school;
but I call myself Australian,
I made my pledge and signed.
I learnt about the laws and states,
the symbols and the flags.
I sing the national anthem
and I respect the old ANZACS.

I still sometimes make mistakes,
like forgetting dinner is late
and lunch is the midday meal
looking up at me from my plate.
But I’m a hybrid you see,
which is something in between,
a mix of the old and the new,
sometimes a little bit green!
Yet I love this land I call home
every bit as much as you.


Lady Satellite


No comments:

Post a Comment