Monday 20 April 2015

174: Choose Your Proverb Wisely (And Your Friends)


Timeless advice
Comes in proverbs and quotes
Often contradictory
Sometimes offering hope.

How do I square these two circles?
Is my question to you
Which advice should I take
Thing one or thing two?

Thing one says

“Don’t burn your bridges!”

Suggests looking over your shoulder
As if with the benefit of hindsight
You might return to that boulder
The one that got in your way
And caused you to stumble
The one that pissed you right off
And made you mutter and grumble.

As if this very boulder
Might one day speak
And hold out a hand
When you are struggling and weak
Offering comfort and support
When you need it most
Or perhaps a new job
When you are in need of a post.

Thing two says

“As one door closes another will open...”

Suggests looking to the future
Expectant and hopeful
Never, ever looking back
For that way lies trouble
Close the door on it tightly
Then lock it up double
If you turn your back on the future
You won’t see what’s possible
If you keep living in the past
You’ll stay there for ever more.

Two different schools of thought
Now which one should I take?
Which one to apply to my life
After my tangle with that rake?
That scoundrel, that rogue
Who messed with my mind
The tumultuous roundabout on my path
Who has now left me behind.

So you see my dilemma
It’s a fling thing you know
Should I go with thing one?
Or is it thing two I should follow?

Do I forgive him his weakness
And keep him as a friend?
Or is that like keeping a lion as a pet?
It will bite you in the end!

Do I turn him out of my life
As if the past didn’t exist
Keep him at arm’s length
Protect myself from risk?

I could try but it won’t work
We live in the same town
And I’m certainly not staying home
Afraid of seeing him around!

I do not approve of hunting
So I cannot put a price upon his head
Even though at one time
I may have wished him dead

Thing three is another handy proverb
Which has the answer to my dilemma

“Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer”

A philosophy that’s very clever.

So my internal wrangling is over
The decision has been made
If I keep him where I can see him
No harm can come my way.

I know he is a lion
I have suffered from his bite
But while I’m getting on with my life
I’ll still keep him within sight.


Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment