Monday 17 November 2014

24: Communication


Where would I be without my mobile phone?
God! I remember how hard I moaned;
when as a teenager, I was banned,
from using the landline, just like I’d planned;
to ring my boyfriend and chatter about nothing,
just the sound of his voice, so very exciting.
I couldn’t care less, that I blocked the line,
that the house was cut off, for hours at a time!

So now we text, in a silent frenzy.
With no fear of over-hearing, our words become brazen.
Secretly, we plan and scheme,
to steal time together, is our dream.
No one hears, so no one knows,
The world has evolved, that’s how it goes.
So many ways, to keep in touch,
Facebook, email, there is so much!

Can you imagine, two centuries ago,
slowly writing letters, with ink that flowed?
Sending them off, on a ship that might sink
and take your words to the bottom of the drink.
The agony of waiting for months at a time,
to learn if your love was dead or alive.
So glad I live in the 21st century;
with my mobile phone and lots of technology!

Lady Satellite



No comments:

Post a Comment