Monday 3 November 2014

10: The Curse of Being Literal


Sometimes I have to smile, before it makes me cry.
Sometimes I might laugh and people wonder why.
The agony of watching you struggle, feels more than I can bear.
I know this world seems strange and harsh with people that don’t care.
If they could see from your side, how strange reality is;
maybe they would understand, why you’re often in a tizz.

Imagine if you can, a world where everything is wrong;
where right means left and yes means no.
You can’t understand, no matter how hard you try.
It just doesn’t make sense, people trick you and lie.

The bus is leaving, you’re on board,
Mum’s outside, they’ve shut the door.
She acts the fool and plays her half,
Jumping at the window while the other kids laugh.

To you this is real, not funny at all.
Your Mum’s in danger and being ridiculed.
This isn’t funny, this isn’t cool,
your confusion rises, your anxiety overloads,
you scream at the kids, as you think the bus goes.
This isn’t real, it’s just a silly joke,
but in your literal world, you simply cannot cope.

My son isn’t naughty or badly brought up.
He isn’t crazy or stupid, don’t be quick to judge.
If you say what you mean and do what you say;
things will go well and be easy today.

I’m at fault here. I admit it. Do you?
I say just a minute and it takes twenty-two.
With language like that, what can he do?
How can he learn time when it never stays true?

‘YES, I do mind’ means ‘NO, you cannot!’
When you try to explain, he can’t take it in;
his head is pounding with a hammering din.
‘You lied! You lied!’ he yells from his hiding space;
with hot tears of frustration, running down his face.
The world for him is such a confusing place.

‘Stand in a line by the door!’ means police that fact;
block the exit and go crazy with those that want more.
In your head there’s a line, or if not there’s war!

What can I do? How can I help?
How can I make things better, or heal your hurt?
Love is all I have, to offer you and as much patience as I can muster.
Together we will get through, until we can find an answer.



Lady Satellite


I share this to raise awareness of how challenging this world can be for someone on the autism spectrum. I hope that it will help those not on the spectrum to understand what to an outsider can look crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment