Sunday 11 January 2015

78: The Penguin Idol

Come worship me
I am your glittering idol
I contain all the mysteries of life
Bow down at my feet
Prostrate yourself in front of me
I will look down from my raised platform
And judge your sincerity.

Do not look me in the eye
You are not worthy
Do not dare to question my authority
You cannot think it possible
For I am the anointed one
I am gilded and bejewelled.

I rule from my place on high
My colours are resplendent
My wealth is vast
My knowledge is endless
You know nothing
You have never travelled beyond these walls
You have not communicated with enlightened beings

You are subjugated and you will stay that way.
I have made sure of it
My power base is secure
As long as ignorance is maintained I am unassailable
You will continue to grovel at my feet
That is all you are fit for.

Look at you
Such diminished creatures
Not one of you has the guts to stand against me
You really think your wretched lives are worth this?
Is life as you know it, so precious
That you would feed off your fellow man’s misery to preserve it?

You disgust me
The lot of you
In the name of sanity can no one see
That I am just a penguin?
A china ornament that looks good on this shelf
I am no God
You have been duped
You are deceived.

The only power I have is to mesmerise with my rich colours
And dazzle with my bold designs
Yet I was once mud and pigment
Fashioned into shape and hardened by the flame
Painted and gilded I was raised to the lofty heights
By my creator.

I might easily have been dropped and smashed into pieces
But no
I am here
High above you on this shelf
And you the ignorant, unthinking masses believe my lies
Because I look good!
Is this society so shallow that looks deceive all?
I tell you this because it is true
Your Gods are false idols
There is no God but you.

Lady Satellite

This was the result of a writing challenge where I was given a china ornament and the word 'flame' as inspiration. I bet the person who gave it to me never saw this coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment