Monday 11 May 2015

189: Full Circle


“Make me feel good.”
Said the girl

“Stay in and hold me.
Don’t go out tonight
I’m scared.”

“I can’t.”
Said the mother

“Because I don’t understand
And you can’t tell me why;
Because you don’t have the words
And I don’t want to hear them anyway.”

“Make me feel good.”
Said the teenager

“Tell me I’m pretty.
Take me to the cinema
Hold my hand.”

“I can’t.”
Said the boy

“Because you don’t smile
And until you do I won’t know that you’re pretty;
Because you don’t trust me
And I don’t know why.”

“Make me feel good.”
Said the young woman in her first job

“Notice how hard I am trying.
Reward me with praise
Trust and respect me.”

“I can’t.”
Said the boss

“Because you have victim written all over you
And I don’t respect you for that;
Because I don’t want you to be my equal
And your intelligence threatens me.”

“Make me feel good.”
Said the wife

“Hold me tight and tell me everything will be alright.
Make a fuss of me and show me you care.
Never ever frighten me.”

“I can’t.”
Said the husband

“Because my problems are bigger than yours
And I can’t see you there in my shadow;
Because I have to pretend all day long
And home is the only place I feel safe to let it all go
And that’s because I know you love me.”

“Make me feel good.”
Said the mother

“Take care of me and the children.
Notice what I achieve and not what is left undone
I want to be glad I chose you.”

“I can’t.”
Said the father

“Because I am afraid I am a failure
And I need you to be perfect to make me look good;
Because I make you feel scared like you did as a child
And you chose me because you knew this.”


Lady Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment